Wednesday 13 November 2013

Caterpillar

Caterpillar

Daddy, Daddy look what I've found.
Hurry, come and see!
Actually, before I show it to you
can you guess what it might be?

Mmmm, let me have a wee think,
what could you have there?
It's safely held within your hands
so I'm guessing it's not a polar bear?

Daddy! Don't be silly
it was having lettuce for its lunch.
A polar bear would much prefer
a fish to munch and crunch!

Ahh so it's something that likes lettuce,
that's another clue.
Tell me is there something special
that this wee creature is able to do?

Oh yes Daddy! You're nearly right,
there certainly is!
Once its tummy is full and fat
it becomes a chrysalis!

And Daddy, wait, did you also know
sometimes to keep the chrysalis safe and dry
a cocoon is spun around it,
but only if it's a moth, not if it's a butterfly?

Wow! Really? I didn't know that.
You know so many interesting things.
Tell me are there any differences
between moth and butterfly wings?

Well Daddy since you ask,
there actually is a few.
Butterfly wings are a wee bit bigger
and much more colourful too.

So... this wee caterpillar in your hands,
what do you think it will turn out to be?
Daddy! How would I know?
You'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment