Friday 21 March 2014

If I Reach an Age..


If I reach an age,
a stage where
I cannot always clarify
my actions or recall
my thought processes,
I hope there will be
someone present who knows
me well enough or someone
who has taken the time
to get to know me.

Someone who has taken
time to get to know me
so I am not a nuisance
because I ‘wander’.
Actually, I was never one
for sitting doing nothing,
so please don’t try and
keep me resting
when my body is still
able to be active.

My body is still able
to be active and,
as a result, I am not
trying to escape.
I am merely trying to
get outside to hear the
birds, breath the air
and allow the consistent presence
of nature to penetrate
those deep recesses of my memories.

Deep recesses of my memory
that still recall happy
days long ago.
Days when we would walk
in the woods seeking red squirrels,
search in ponds for frog spawn,
comb the beach for treasures.
Ask me about these times,
I can share stories and
perhaps even impart knowledge.

Stories and knowledge have
been laid down in the
areas of my mind that have
not yet succumbed
to the tangles and plaques.
Some gentle coaxing
will encourage them forth,
once released they will be
happy to be shared, relived
and bring joy.

Bring joy to me as I
quietly laugh at
the image of a wee boy
wet with sea water and
a bonnie girl seeking
mermaids purses in
the tide line.
Joy to you as you
realise you’ve reached me
and can share these memories.

You’ve reached me because
you have taken the time.
Time to sit with me,
time to speak with me,
time to not watch the time,
to just be present so I can
be present in a time that
I loved and didn’t want to lose.
This is all I hope for if I

reach an age, a stage....




No comments:

Post a Comment